VAF Project – A New Initiative for Ricefield Arts & Cultural Centre
Ricefield has developed a plan for 2015 and early 2016 which involves diversification and development of the services we provide. We have been conducting extensive research into the changing needs of the Chinese community in Glasgow and have decided to focus on the following areas: Volunteering, Older people, and Welfare & Benefits Advice
Our research has highlighted that these are areas where few Chinese people are accessing mainstream services but where there is growing need. Our initial project will involve the recruitment and training of volunteers particularly from within the Chinese community who fall within these demographics or who display an interest or experience of working with these client groups. The volunteers will initially support the research and development of two particular area:
- Senior Social Activities Club
- Welfare and Benefit Advice within Community
The volunteers will form part of a research and development team under each project area and will receive an induction, governance training, learn about project development and how to conduct community research/consultation into their chosen area of focus. Volunteers will develop the services supported by our Volunteer Project Coordinator with the clear aim that they will take ownership of their chosen project area (either older people’s services or Welfare and Benefit Advice) long term using Ricefield’s resources and connections.
The project will look to involve young people 16-25 as well as older people up to 65 in this project to enhance and improve intergenerational relationships. The young people can help in either project and will be supported to work towards ‘Saltire Awards’ and enhancing their CVs.
The recruitment of volunteers in the VAF Project is ongoing and will carry on to service for those in need to beat isolation within our community. We are now recruiting:
- Senior Social Activities Coordinators – To create, plan and organise activities such as Chinese and Asian Arts, Music, Calligraphy, Plant seedlings, incorporate with Ricefield Workshops to run the once fortnightly sessions within the local Chinese Elderly Centres and other Community Groups in Garnethill and North of Glasgow area.
- Event and Community Coordinators – To help with planning, setting up of Events, liaise with participant groups, communication and public relations work.
- Researchers on Welfare and Benefits Advice– To assist and develop the work of liaison in between clients / users with Welfare Benefit Advisers from public sectors, such as NHS, Citizen Advice, DWP, Job Centres, Referrals, etc. based on one to one sessions.
Please sign up on the Volunteer page or e-mail email@example.com and state the particular roles from the above you are interested in. Thank you for volunteering with this diverse and meaningful project to help beat isolation within our older community members.